UPSC is asking 2-3 questions every year from places in the news. In this post I have tried to cover important places which are regularly coming in news. Hopefully this helps in quick revision before UPSC CSE Prelims 2019. So do not leave this to the last hour. Give 15 minutes and finish it right here right now.
ISLANDS IN THE NEWS
- Chagos Island: Mauritius in Indian Ocean. Disputed with UK
- Santosa Island: Singapore. US North Korea Summit took place here.
- Diego Garcia: Mauritius. US Military base.
- Galagopas Island: Latin America. Part of Equador. In Pacific Ocean.
- Northern Triangle of Central America: These three central american countries. Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. In news because of MIGRANT ISSUE.
- Agalega Island: Located in Indian Ocean. Mauritius. Geostrategic importance. UK, India and China.
- Assumption Island: Outer Islands of Seychelles north of Madagascar. India is building Naval Base here
- Coco Island: Bay of Bengal. Part of Yangon region Myanmar. Biodiversity. India gifted to Burma.
- Guam Island: US territory. Near Micronesia, Western Pacific Ocean
- Kuril Island: Volcanic archipelago. Dispute between Russia and Japan.
- Manus Island: Part of Papua New Guinea. Humanitarian and refugee crisis. Australia involved.
- Malacca Strait: Divides Malaysia and Sumatra (Indonesia). 25% of Global oil passes through. IMP.
- Cocos (Keeling) Island: Australian external territory closer to Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Cocos Island: Central America. Administered by Costa Rica. In Pacific Ocean.
View this post on Instagram
Do not worry about results just take care of efforts. . . . . #upsc #ias #ips #ssc #currentaffairs #gk #india #generalknowledge #ssccgl #news #study #ifs #motivation #knowledge #cgl #cds #banking #rrb #irs #civilservices #railway #ibps #education #prelims2019 #quotes #instagram #studygram
International Organisations and their Headquarters
- Geneva: Many headquarters over there. Because of amenities for diplomats, hotels most importantly neutrality in world affairs.
- UNCTAD (Trade and Development), G77, WHO, ILO, WTO, WMO (Meteorological), WIPO, Doctors without Borders (MSF), WEF, IOM (Migration) All HQs in Geneva Switzerland.
- UNIDO (Industrial Development): Vienna
- IAEA: Atomic Energy —> Vienna, Austria
- UNESCO HQ: Paris, France
- IEA: Energy Agency, Paris, France
- FAO: Food and Agriculture Organisation in Rome, Italy.
- UNEP: UN Environment Program. HQ in Nairobi, Kenya
Important Cities in News
This is hot section and UPSC is asking questions from important cities in the news. Last year also two questions came from this section. You can eliminate if you know 1 or 2 city and its country. See image below –
Now I have compiled few cities which are in news for past 2 years. Hopefully reading this helps you in exam.
- Kashgar City: China. End point of CPEC in Xinjiang.
- Sana’a: Capital of Yemen. On going humanitarian crisis
- Khouzestan Province: Iran. It borders with Iraq and
- Ahvaz City: Iran. Capital of Khouzestan. notable for Oil resources.
- Mosul: Iraq, chief commercial centre of NW Iraq.
- Bandar-e-Abbas: Port city on the strait Hormuz (IMP). Major oil route.
- OTHER CITIES IN IRAQ: Al-Falujjah, Kirkuk, Samarra, Basrah
- OTHER CITIES IN IRAN: Urmia, Karaj, Yazd, Mashhad, Kermanshah
- Al-Baghuz Fawqani: Syria. Eastern border of Syria.
- Idlib Province: Fertile basin of Syria. Cotton and oil pressing industry. Between Aleppo and Latakia.
- Herat: Old city of Afghanistan. Fertile agriculture areas. Economic centre of Afghanistan. On the banks of river.
- Mae Sot: District in Thailand. Share borders with Myanmar. Refugee crisis. People and drug trafficking.
- Mandalay: In Myanmar. Infamous for anti Muslim riots.
- Site: Myanmar port opening in bay of bengal. India is building port here.
- Kyaupkyu: Myanmar. China is building port here.
- Khulna: Third largest city in Bangladesh. Kolkata – Khulana connectivity projects.
- Atabara: Located along Nile River in Sudan. Railway, Agriculture and commercial centre.
- Skopje: Capital of Macedonia.
- Maputo: Capital of Mozambique.
- Mary city: Oasis city, Karakum Desert in Turkmenistan
Some Ports in News Recently
- Sabang Port —> Sumatra, Indonesia.
- Lyttleton Port —> New Zealand
- Port Louis —> Mauritius. Capital city.
- Port Stanley —> Falkland. Gives British presence in Southern Hemisphere.
- Mombasa Port —> Coastal city of Kenya
Some Important Straits in the World Right Now
- Kra Canal —> Threat to Singapore. Financed by China. Alternative to Malacca strait.
- Sunda Strait —> Divides Java and Sumatra
- Kerch strait —> Connects black sea and sea of Azov. Russia and Ukraine dispute.
- Lombok Strait —> connects Java Sea to the Indian Ocean
Bonus: Some Tribes in News
- Assam: Chutia, Morans, Motoks, tai-Ahoms, Koch Rajbongshi
- Sikkim: Limboo, Tamang, Bhutia, Lepcha
- Arunachal Pradesh: Singchung Bugun
- Andaman: Sentinelese, Jarawas, Andamanese, Shompens
So this is all from this post. It is difficult to say whether this post is exhaustive for such type of questions. But I want to say UPSC always comes up with unexpected. So thinking whether this will work or not is not the question. You should be ready at whatever UPSC throws at you. Just run this last mile with determination. Never give up. Be calm, confident and believe in yourself.
Whether you think you can or you can not, you are right.