NATIONAL REGISTER OF CITIZEN (NRC)
- India has a single citizenship. that is if you are a citizen of India then you are a citizen of any respective state or UT of India, and vice-versa.
- An individual can become a citizen of India by descent or by registration. Article 5-11 of the constitution provides the requirements.
WHAT IS NATIONAL REGISTER OF CITIZEN?
- It is a list maintained by the government of India of its citizens and their information and identification of genuine Indian citizenship.
WHY IT IS TO BE MAINTAINED?
- IDENTIFICATION of illegal migrants in states of tribal’s, where ethnic conflicts are challenges to law and orders.
- It is updated last in 1955 since then it is not updated yet.
WHY IS IT IN ASSAM?
- In 26 MARCH 1971 formation of BANGLADESH took place from EAST PAKISTAN.
- It resulted in one of the largest migration of people from land which is known as BANGLADESH in the current situation.
- A massive protest against illegal migrants in Assam took place in 1985, which lead to the government of India and protesters singed the pact known as ASSAM ACCORD for deciding the real citizen of India.
- Accord decided the date of 24 MARCH 1971 as CUT-OF DATE.
HOW ONE CAN BECOME CITIZEN OF INDIA IN ASSAM?
- One has to provide the residential proofs to be a citizen before the date of cut-off.
- If one is migrated before 1 JANUARY 1966, it deemed to be a citizen.
- one who migrated between 1 JANUARY 1966 to 25 MARCH 1971 is eligible for citizenship after living 10 years.
- But those who migrated after 25 MARCH 1971 will be departed.
WHAT IS CURRENT STATUS?
- 30 AUGUST 2019 was the deadline for providing the documents for proving citizenship.
WHAT IS D-VOTER LIST?
- DUBIOUS or DOUBTFUL voter which are disfranchised by the government who are not able to provide correct documents.
WHO ARE FOREIGNERS?
- Doubtful voters will face trail to defend the citizenship claims at the special tribunal.
- Those individualists which are not able to prove the originality of residence at tribunal will be sent at detention camps.
Follow us on Instagram to get updates.
To Join PDF membership Click Here